5 Common Misconceptions When Trying to Deal With Toxic Mold On Your Own
1. USING PRODUCTS THAT WON’T KILL TOXIC MOLD
The public believes spraying with bleach will kill the mold. However, that can be further from the truth. Spraying bleach on mold doesn’t kill the mold; it simply discolors it and leaves spores behind. Not to mention, removing mold with a solution of bleach and water can allow mold to regrow even faster. Furthermore, prolonged exposure to bleach could cause respiratory irritation, blurred vision, nausea, and watery eyes.
2. NOT ADDRESSING MOLD RIGHT AWAY
A common myth about mold is that it can take weeks to grow and spread. It’s a fact that mold and mildew will develop within 24 to 48 hours of water exposure and will continue to grow until the source of moisture is eliminated, and the spores are destroyed. Even a small water spill over a seemingly harmless area, like on a bathroom shelf, can turn into a moldy mess if left unattended.
3. PAINTING OVER MOLD
You may see “mold-resistant” paint at your local hardware store, applying it over mold-affected surfaces will not kill the mold and can cause more issues in the long run. If you do end up using mold-resistant paint, just keep in mind that these paints don’t guarantee mold won’t grow on surfaces, but they can help prevent it temporarily.
4. IGNORING THE ROOT CAUSE OF MOLD GROWTH
Moisture is the leading cause of mold infestations. So, even if you effectively eradicate mold, it will come back if there is excess moisture from a leak (even a tiny one!) or if the room is humid and poorly ventilated. If there is a leak in your home, it’s important to repair it as soon as possible.
Ventilate your bathroom during and after showering by opening the doors and windows or running the exhaust fan to let moisture escape.
5. EXPOSING YOURSELF TO TOXIC MOLDS
It’s essential to remember that mold spores and mycotoxins can travel in the air when moving around or when cleaning. Avoid breathing in mold spores and mycotoxins. Those with respiratory issues or a weakened immune system should avoid entering the space entirely. For extensive mold problems, consider hiring a professional who is trained in mold cleanup. Some molds are highly toxic, and even less dangerous molds can cause problems for people with allergies, asthma, or those with compromised immune systems or respiratory issues. Generally, the rule of thumb is to seek the help of a professional if the mold covers ten or more square feet. Removing large mold colonies requires a professional company.